Saturday, April 19, 2008

R.I.P. Xbox 360


It has happened. My xbox 360 has taken the hit that thousands of xboxes have suffered before..The infamous Red Ring of Death!!!

I have been pretty lucky thus far. Most of the early adopters of the 360 are already on their 4th or 5th xbox by now. The RRoD is thought to be caused by the solder joints between the motherboard and the GPU coming apart due to heating and warping of the motherboard. So I consider myself lucky that I've gone over two years and am just having this issue. Luckily, Microsoft extended the warranty on the 360 due to the unusually high number of failures. So as long as I get it sent in before 2009, I should be okay.

The downside to this whole story is that I won't have my Xbox for about 4-5 weeks while it is being repaired, but luckily I have my Nintendo Wii to keep me entertained while the 360 is out on sabbatical.

So in this case "R.I.P." will have to stand for "Repair It Promptly".

(There is a DIY fix that is available on the web and looks relatively easy...I've heard that it is more of a permanent fix than what the M$ people do to "fix" it. So let's do a little unofficial poll: Should I send it to Microsoft or attempt the DIY fix?)

Much Love,
Chad

1 comment:

Dezaree said...

Geoff told me it kicked the bucket. I am sorry. But I think that I would send it back because it's under warranty. Then once it comes back, and it's no longer under the warranty, you can DIY. What do you think?